Date:      Thu, 29 Jun 2006 22:01:00 +0200
From:      Christian Schade <chris@kirshara.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Force ugen device for printer?

--------------enig3F92A756D1B4EC9AEBE31272

Hi all,

how can I force my system (6.1-STABLE) to create a ugen device for my
printer?

My printer, a HP PSC 1610 is recognized as a ulpt device and the
cardreader on it as umass. Printing on the ultp device works fine, but I
cannot use the scanner function with sane. I tried the hplip driver
(/usr/ports/printing/hplip) to solve the scanning problem, but it only
works on ugen devices. When I kldunload the ulpt and umass modules from
my kernel before connecting the printer, it creates a ugen device and
everything works fine.

My problem is, that I need at least the umass module for USB sticks and
my external harddisk. So my question is, can I configure devd or
something else to not create a ulpt and umass device for my printer but
create a ugen device (maybe by matching the vendor ID of the printer)?

Thanks,
Christian Schade