Date:      Tue, 24 Jun 2008 08:01:29 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        iwrTech@iwr.ru.ac.za
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portupgrade dependency loop

"DA Forsyth" <iwrtech@iwr.ru.ac.za> writes:

> How do I fix this?
>
> ===>   Registering installation for horde-base-3.2_3
> pkg_create: dependency loop detected for package pear-Auth-1.6.1
> pkg_create: dependency loop detected for package pear-Auth_SASL-1.0.2
> pkg_create: dependency loop detected for package pear-Net_SMTP-1.3.1
>
> I tried doing a 'pkgdb -F' and removing the dependencies in the loop,
> but they just get rebuilt.

Start by updating your ports tree again.  You may have hit a transient
issue with the dependencies in the actual makefiles.  Probably not,
but it's worth checking before trying to understand what's really
happening.

If I can let the machine alone for a while, I will generally rebuild
all the ports in the dependency tree for the problem.  Getting this
accurate usually requires examining the ports by hand.  Removing all
of those ports and rebuilding them to pick up the dependency
information in order will usually work, but takes the functionality
offline for longer.

Hope that helps...