Date:      Sun, 20 Jan 2008 14:21:43 -0800
From:      Tim Kientzle <kientzle@freebsd.org>
To:        Adrian Penisoara <ady@freebsd.ady.ro>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Squeezing out some 70 bytes out of the boot2 loader

Adrian Penisoara wrote:
> Hello
>
>   I am trying to hack in some symlink support into the [sys/boot/i386/]boot2
> bootloader (for my project [1]) and I seem to fall short of about 69 bytes:

> [1] I'm trying to get support for /boot being mounted as a separate FS and
> as such I would need to have a "self-pointing" symlink (e.g. "boot -> ." )

Just because there is a symlink doesn't mean boot2 has
to follow it.

I haven't looked at the boot2 code, but I presume
there's the equivalent of "chdir boot" in there.
What if you just ignored failure (if there's no
"boot" entry or "boot" isn't a dir, assume the
boot files are in the root of the FS).

Wouldn't that work just as well and require less space?

Cheers,

Tim Kientzle