Date:      Sun, 23 Mar 2008 23:38:38 -0400
From:      Lee Dilkie <Lee@dilkie.com>
To:        "Donald E. Holt" <donald.holt@earthlink.net>
Subject:   Re: Striped Drive for OS File System

I think the gconcat vs gstripe decision boils down to your performance
requirements. Gconcat lets you string together various size disks to
make a really big disk, whereas gstripe requires them all the be the
same size. Gstripe has better performance due to stripping, gconcat is
only as fast as a drive.

I'm using gconcat because this "big drive" holds a lot of video files
and it's more important to just be able to go out and buy the
lastest/cheapest drive and add to the end of the array when it gets full.

I wouldn't put swap on a filesystem, it's better off in it's own
partition/slice (I can never get that terminology straight). If the swap
on your root drive is enough, you could go without swap on the /usr
drive but it's up to you.

oh, and after you've created your drive, don't forgot to add it to
/etc/fstab (and remove the exiting /usr entry).. ie.

/dev/concat/usr2_concat       /usr2           ufs     rw
2       2