Date:      10 Nov 1995 03:45:48 +0800
From:      peter@haywire.dialix.com (Peter Wemm)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Timing bug with Netscape 2.0b2

terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert) writes:

>> Is this another FreeBSD-emulating-BSDI bug with Netscape 2.0b2:
>>
>> Any graphic that is supposed to be updated regularly (blinking cursor,
>> animated Netscape icon, or blinking tags in text) will not update when I
>> run Netscape 2.0b2 in FreeBSD... UNLESS either:
>>
>> 1) The mouse is in motion (and then it updates slowly)  OR
>> 2) There is network activity (Netscape is currently downloading a page).
>>
>> I'm sure this is affecting everyone, right?

>I believe this is another select() timeout/itimer interaction.

>Has anyone looked at BSDI's default siginterrupt/syscall restart
>options since the last time we talked about this?

I've been examinging some rather large ktrace dumps.  The BSD version
of netscape 2.0b2 does not use the itimer system calls. :-(

It's actually blocking inside a select without a timeout:
   [ ..... 5 Megs of ktrace/kdump deleted ..... ]
   279 netscape.bin RET   gettimeofday 0
   279 netscape.bin CALL  select(0xd,0xefbfc1c8,0xefbfc1a8,0xefbfc188,0xefbfc08c)
   279 netscape.bin RET   select 0
   279 netscape.bin CALL  gettimeofday(0xefbfbfe8,0)
   279 netscape.bin RET   gettimeofday 0
   279 netscape.bin CALL  sigprocmask(0x1,0)
   279 netscape.bin RET   sigprocmask 0
   279 netscape.bin CALL  sigprocmask(0x3,0)
   279 netscape.bin RET   sigprocmask 0
   279 netscape.bin CALL  select(0xd,0x50011f5c,0,0x50011f1c,0)
                                                            ^^^
Note that no timeout is being selected.
Also, it does not siginterrupt, and does not call any itimer functions.

This looks like a netscape programming error.

-Peter