Date:      Mon, 17 Nov 2008 14:16:06 +0200
From:      Manolis Kiagias <sonic2000gr@gmail.com>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Ott_K=F6stner?= <OttK@zzz.ee>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 7.1

Ott Köstner wrote:
> Manolis Kiagias wrote:
>
>> I don't think it is a matter of days, we have not even reached RC
>> status yet on 7.1
>> On  a production server you will probably wish to go with
>> 7.0-RELEASE-p5. It would be trivial to upgrade to 7.1 by means of
>> freebsd-update(8) when it is released.
>> You probably don't want to risk 7.1-PRERELEASE on a server, but for
>> anyone running workstations, desktops, laptops I think it is worth
>> trying at this moment.
> I am a person, who made a mistake, installing 7.1 on my production
> server (actually RELENG_7 stable, which shows up as 7.1).
>
> My question is, how stupid is that mistake? Is it better to reinstall
> 7.0 before something really bad happens, or can I just let it run?
> What are the most serious bugs to expect?
>

> Greetings,
> O.K.

It all depends on the programs you run, your configuration, system load
and so on. Bugs that may be present in the system, may simply not be
applicable to you, if you are not using the specific part or feature
that has the problem.  While it is difficult to assess without knowing
specific details, I think 7.1 is generally stable at the moment. Maybe
people using it in production servers (if any) can step in and share
their experiences.