Date:      Sun, 4 Dec 2005 21:56:15 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Torgeir Hoffmann" <twhoffma@student.matnat.uio.no>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cannot boot with newly compiled kernel, or kernel.old after upgrading to RELENG_6

Hi,

thanks a lot for quick reply.

> Did you copy the 6.0 GENERIC config file into the one your buildkernel
make uses?

No, actually I didn't. From what I could see on
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html,
I didn't think it was necessary.

>> The error when trying to boot the new kernel makes the system reboots
after 15 seconds, so I haven't had the opportunity to write that one
down. However, the error message from when trying: "unload", "boot
/boot/kernel.old/kernel" I was able to copy down in full (see
>> bottom).
>
> You should only load the 5-stable kernel and the boot -s. You have a
mixed kernel and userland. You can't expect kernel.old and your
> 6-stable userland to work.

If I understand you correctly, that would mean that even if I haven't yet
done "installworld", my userland is still 6.0? I'm terribly sorry if I
wasn't clear on that point.
Thanks for the boot command - it worked very well.

I thought I'd try to cvsup the sourcetree to RELENG_6_0 instead now, and
then try to recompile. Is that a good idea? I was thinking, since
installworld hasn't been done yet?

Many thanks,

Torgeir Hoffmann