Date:      Sat, 27 Apr 1996 23:00:34 +0100
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Mr Sean Batson A.C.P." <valtech@caribnet.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Free();

"Mr Sean Batson A.C.P." wrote in message ID
<318294F4.41C67EA6@caribnet.net>:
> While using the Netscape 3.0 browser i realise the swap space is always
> reducing and never increasing. Could it a case of malloc(); malloc();
> and no calls to free();free(); which eats the swap area up?

> I this is so, when would there be a correction this problem?

Possibly. What version of the X server are you running? Unless it's
quite recent (i.e. before XFree86 3.12) you'll be relying on the
malloc()/free() in libc, which in 2.1-stable and before had a problem
in that it didn't return memory to the system until the process
exited. As Netscape does intensive bitmap requests to the server, it
tends to do quite a lot of malloc()ing and free()ing, resulting in a
creeping memory usage. Depending on BSDI's malloc(), Netscape itself
could have the same problem.

Partial Solution: either relink your X server to use -lgnumalloc, or
                  upgrade to a later version which is linked with GNU
                  malloc already.

Messy Solution:   quit X every so often and reload it.

The problem is addressed in 2.2 which a new malloc/free (phkmalloc),
but since Netscape is statically linked on BSDI's BSD/OS, we depend on
them having a non-leaking malloc... (AFAIK)

Gary
--
Gary Palmer                                            FreeBSD Core Team Member
FreeBSD - Turning PC's into workstations. See http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/ for info.