Date:      Thu, 22 Jan 2009 20:40:27 +0100
From:      Roger Olofsson <240olofsson@telia.com>
To:        Buck Jones <buck@bvminc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: looking for a fail over system

Buck Jones skrev:
> MY web server just died and It's taking some time to get back up . I
> want to find a fail over device so when one computer dies another
> automatically takes over. of course letting me know this happened would
> be a good thing too.

Hello Buck,

I have been using some approaches over the years.

One is a hot/cold failover like carp only I used freevrrpd
(/usr/ports/net/freevrrpd).

The second one is a simple loadbalancer called pen (/usr/ports/net/pen
(http://siag.nu hit the 'More stuff' link).

The third approach would be using dns - providing you run your own dns,
you could do simple round-robin
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round_robin_DNS).

The easiest one, providing you have a mirror of your web server would
probably be pen.

/R