Date:      Mon, 02 Feb 2009 11:03:04 +0100
From:      Dominic Fandrey <kamikaze@bsdforen.de>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   package server inconsistencies

A friend and me are both working on tools for automated package
updates. We intended to rely on the INDEX file to be found on
the package repositories, however we came to recognize that
the data provided is not reliable.

Here's an example:
ftp://ftp.de.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-7-stable/INDEX
Yesterday the OOo-3 version listed was
openoffice.org-3.0.0

However under
ftp://ftp.de.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-7-stable/All
you already found openoffice.org-3.0.0_1

editors/openoffice.org-3.0.0.tbz was a broken link at that
time.

Today this has returned to a consistent state, however
yesterday relying on INDEX would have been fatal. Our
code would have attempted to update with the wrong version
and gracelessly failed.

Was this some kind of exception or do we have to add server/INDEX
consistency tests to our algorithms? Shouldn't old packages be
kept until they are no longer referenced by the INDEX?