Date:      Fri, 13 Mar 2009 20:24:40 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        David Southwell <david@vizion2000.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Managing bsdpan -- some advice please

--------------enigE35FC25C257E369C07CD385A

David Southwell wrote:
> Basically I do not know how to manage the bsdpan "ports".
> On portupgrade -a I get long lists like the one below.
> How are items "held"
> How do I decide whether ort not to hold them.
> Some advice would be appreciated.
> I have searched for some guidance on the freebsd web site but not found=
 any.
>=20
> --->  Skipping 'bsdpan-B-Debug-1.10' because it is held by user (specif=
y -f to=20
> force)
> --->  Skipping 'bsdpan-Exporter-5.62' because it is held by user (speci=
fy -f=20
> to force)
> --->  Skipping 'bsdpan-constant-1.15' because it is held by user (speci=
fy -f=20
> to force)

[...]

Well, for starters, you have no choice but to 'hold' a bsdpan package.
The terminology comes from portupgrade, but the same thing applies to
whatever FreeBSD package management system you care to use.

In portupgrade, a 'held' package is one that is listed in the HOLD_PKGS
array in /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf. This simply indicates packages tha=
portupgrade should not attempt to upgrade for whatever reason.

The default setting is:

  HOLD_PKGS =3D [
    'bsdpan-*',
  ]

ie. any 'bsdpan' package installed via 'perl -MCPAN -e' or by manually=20
compiling the module source.  These bsdpan packages are just normal=20
FreeBSD packages in every respect but one: they have no package origin
-- that is, there is no directory in the ports tree for a bsdpan package.=

This means that the usual ports system for determining whether a package
is out of date -- comparing either directly or indirectly against the
version number from the port's Makefile -- is impossible to apply and
so ports management software cannot upgrade bsdpan packages.

As a general rule, if there is a ported version of a perl module then
install that, rather than installing the same thing directly from CPAN.
It makes ports management easier and keeping stuff up to date a lot more
effective.  Most of the packages you list are available in the ports
tree.

You also have about 15 ordinary p5 ports listed as 'held' -- I'm not sure=

why that should be unless you have deliberately chosen to do that.  Maybe=

because they have dependencies on bsdpan packages?  Anyhow, you can proba=
bly
sort things out by replacing your bsdpan packages with the ports equivale=
nts
like so:

    portupgrade -o www/p5-libwww  -f bsdpan-libwww-perl-5.813

(That's actually a slight oddity: usually a perl package Foo::Bar::Baz wi=
ll
 appear in ports as mumble/p5-Foo-Bar-Baz)

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                  Flat 3