Date:      Thu, 08 Oct 2009 05:44:32 -0400
From:      Allen <GedankeZauberer@comcast.net>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD text based games - Dungeoncrawl - My test box

Jayton Garnett wrote:
> Games? games? What are they?  I do not understand this term - Games.
>

> I do know what you mean about using an older machine though, I have a P2
> 350Mhz (maybe 450mhz) with only 128mb ram in a small Slimline Compaq :) It
> ran FAMP, FTP, SSH and X pretty well and kept up with the (small amount) of
> requests. Only reason it has been 'decommissioned' is the hard drive failed
> during a house move where the PC must have got chucked around, it had the
> only copy left of my CMS (another hard drive had failed in my other PC that
> held the 'backup' of my website/CMS) and since then could not be bothered to
> rebuild my website/CMS as it had taken an age to get it to a decent state
> with plenty functionality. I too was impressed with the little 'beasts'
> performance, friends who used the FTP & SSH services thought it was a newer
> machine because it was quite nippy :)

Yea it's amazing how an OS that's brand new, you download the thing,
burn some CDs, and it not only installs and works, but does so faster,
than an OS from like years ago like XP, which has like not even a 100th
of the software, or functionality. I've always thought that was nice.
It's like, you look at Vista and what you need, and once the shock is
done, you think "WOW! no wonder these hardware guys like Dell and the
others let Microsoft stay as the only choice you see on their main pages
and rarely offer anything else other than the odd Linux Laptop or
FreeDOS install which, sometimes doesn't even work, because they'll make
more money back when people upgrade to use this crap!"