Date:      Sat, 2 Jun 2012 11:39:16 +0100
From:      David Chisnall <theraven@freebsd.org>
To:        Erich Dollansky <erich@alogreentechnologies.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why Are You Using FreeBSD?

On 2 Jun 2012, at 03:56, Erich Dollansky wrote:

> But I have to mention one disadvantage. The ports are in no way linked =
to the releases. This leads to situations in which a small change in a =
basic library will result in a complete update of the installed ports. I =
expressed this already many time here. It would be of advantage if the =
ports tree would also have tags like the base system itself.

OpenBSD did this for a while, but they gave up because they weren't =
doing it well enough to recommend it and it did more harm to users to do =
it badly than not at all.

Ideally, you want to get security fixes for all installed applications, =
but nothing else, in this model.  There are two ways of doing this:

- Back-port security fixes to the version shipped with the base system
- Import the security-fixed version into the stable set.

The second option has the problem that you identified: if the new =
version depends on a newer library, then this cascades and you end up =
needing to import a new version of hundreds of ports. =20

The first option has a much simpler disadvantage: it requires a huge =
amount of manpower.  Companies like Red Hat can do this because they =
charge their users a lot for this service.  We could probably do this if =
we had enough users willing to pay for the service, or if we restrict it =
to a set of packages that do their own security backports upstream.

The problem with the second option can be alleviated if we make it =
easier to have multiple versions of libraries installed at the same time =
(this is something that the PBI system in PC-BSD does, albeit in an ugly =
hackish way that could be improved significantly with a bit of =
assistance from rtld). =20

David=