Date:      Wed, 23 Dec 2009 08:38:17 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: why BSDs got no love

--------------enig2CAA93472E216E91E48C3665

Charlie Kester wrote:
> On Tue 15 Dec 2009 at 07:33:49 PST Jan Husar wrote:
>> http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/opensource/?p=3D1123&tag=3Dnl.e011
>=20
> Others have pointed out that PC-BSD meets the need expressed in this
> article.
>=20
> As for FreeBSD itself, the question must be asked: do we WANT to get
> more love from people who judge an OS by whether or not it has a
> graphical installer?

Heh.  It's almost worth implementing a graphical installer just to shut
up the constant moaning.  While I agree that it is a very basic error to
judge by form and appearance rather than by substance, unfortunately much=

of the rest of the world appears not to agree.

As a project, by not having this sort of layer of gloss on what is likely=

to be the very first thing a new user sees we run the risk of putting off=

complete neophytes who have no other basis on which to judge the OS, and
who could otherwise develop into the next generation of capable users. =20

At the risk of being challenged to produce code (Which, alas, I don't hav=
sufficient skill to do.  Or sufficient time.)  I'd design an installer as=
CLI program that reads in a fairly simple fixed script or language to do =
the=20
installation work, and have separate Curses and/or X based programs to al=
low
users to create the installation script interactively.  I think that woul=
fulfil just about everybodies' requirements, from the people that want a
*shiny* graphical interface to people wanting to do automatic unattended
installs over serial lines.

Of course, this sort of project has been attempted before, and been a
complete failure.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20