Date:      Tue, 13 Jul 2010 23:26:18 +0200
From:      Dimitry Andric <dimitry@andric.com>
To:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sysistall bsdlabel failure with amd64 FreeBSD-8.1-RC2-amd64-dvd1.iso

On 2010-07-13 23:09, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
>> Were those partitions 'dangerously dedicated'
>
> Yes probably, I can't be certain though, as recent FreeBSD fudges /aliases
> ad0s1a to ad0a if s1 is active fdisk slice.

IIRC, in FreeBSD before 8 you got both ad0s1a and ad0a in /dev, when you
had DD partitions, but since GEOM_BSD was replaced by GEOM_PART_BSD this
is no longer the case.

As far as I have tried out, it is no longer possible to use sysinstall
to actually install on a DD partition, neither with 8.1 nor with
-current.  Sysinstall simply does not allow you to directly label a
'raw' disk, you must make an MBR partition first.

I usually just start a fixit shell from the DVD, run bsdlabel
directly on the target device, newfs it, and unpack the distributions
myself...

> Yes definately. Most Probably on my 8.0-rel i386 laptop
> Definately not on the laptop I was trying with 8.1-RC2.

Did that latter laptop also show the same problem?