Date:      Sun, 07 Aug 2011 00:05:12 +0300
From:      Volodymyr Kostyrko <c.kworr@gmail.com>
To:        Christian Barthel <bc@nyx.user-mode.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Alternative windowmanagers

05.08.2011 22:12, Christian Barthel wrote:
> As a Gnome 2.3x user too, I am also a bit nervouse. Gnome 3 is a big
> mistake. And there are also rumors that Gnome will be Linux only. Maybe,
> we will never see Gnome3 under FreeBSD, but this is not a tragedy :)

Once a year I build up a Gnome or KDE to look at all this stuff... Then
I go back to E17.

> I am not very interested in eyecandy: I want a stable and fast wm (less
> memory and cpu, quick access to important places), different workspaces,
> and it should be configurable with ordinary files. Of course, It must
> run under FreeBSD.
>
> I sniffed into AfterStep, fvwm2 and fluxbox (I don't want to use KDE). I
> think, fluxbox is a nice wm and for my future, it will be the default wm
> for me. It's also very fast and easy to configure.
>
> Are there any other window manager worth looking?
>
> What is your window manager?

0k, I'll describe mine one for you:

= Enlightement 17 =

Eyecandy: 5. Maybe you don't need that, but that's doesn't eats up your
cpu and mem. I think only KDE4 or MacOS can beat this one.

Memory: 4. The process eats up 30M on i386. Most plugins are loaded as
modules so it's fairly light for most machines.

CPU: 4. With all eyecandy and staff it eats something about 18 secs per
hour for me in average. It can eat more if some heavy plugins are loaded.

Configuration: 4. Not 5 because there's no text files for that. Apart
that everything can be changed. I prefer unloading most modules like
file manager, desktops, taskbars and other staff staying only with
desktop, gadgets and fullscreen windows. You can set everything to work
without a mouse, or you can set everything to work only with mouse. It
gives me even higher level of freedom as XFCE.

Also it works perfectly with two monitors, while XFCE shows garbage on
second one... Maybe I'm missing something though.

--
Sphinx of black quartz judge my vow.