Date:      Fri, 13 Jan 2012 01:57:11 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Hiroki Sato <hrs@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-rc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Making use of set_rcvar.

On 01/09/2012 05:35, Hiroki Sato wrote:
>  I prefer to use ${name}_enable because putting the same keyword in
>  two places always leads to a stupid typo issue.

So, here's the thing. I understand what you're saying, I really do. The
problem is, you're still wrong. :)

There are MANY places where you have to use the value of $name literally
already, and typos count in every single one of them:

1. The name of the script file
2. PROVIDE
3. REQUIRE
4. names of service-specific methods, e.g.: start_precmd="foo_prestart"
5. Default values in /etc/defaults/rc.conf
6. rc.conf.5

And that's just off the top of my head. The ideal of being able to
copy/paste example rc.d scripts for use with new services without having
to change [m]any code sounds great in theory. In practice, search and
replace is an absolute necessity. So having one more place where you
have to replace the name of the old service with the new one isn't going
to hurt anything.

I haven't seen any objection to the _substance_ of my proposal, so I'm
going to go ahead with it tomorrow.

Doug

--

	You can observe a lot just by watching.	-- Yogi Berra