Date:      Sat, 18 Feb 2012 11:35:33 +0100
From:      Denis Fortin <fortin@acm.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ZFS question

Good morning,

On a small system using FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE, ZFS is reporting an issue
on a pool, that I am not certain is really an issue, but I don't know
how to investgate...

Here is the situation: I have created a ZFS pool on an external 1TB
Maxstor USB drive.

The ZFS pool sees little or no activity, I haven't started using it for
real yet.

The drive spins down frequently because of lack of activity, and takes
quite a few seconds to spin up.

Now, I frequently get errors in the 'zpool status' thus (like, a couple
of times per day):

 > [denis@datasink] ~> zpool status -v
 >   pool: maxstor
 >  state: ONLINE
 > status: One or more devices has experienced an unrecoverable error.  An
 >         attempt was made to correct the error.  Applications are
unaffected.
 > action: Determine if the device needs to be replaced, and clear the
errors
 >         using 'zpool clear' or replace the device with 'zpool replace'.
 >    see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-9P
 >  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0h0m with 0 errors on Sat Feb 18 08:49:41 2012
 > config:
 >
 >         NAME                                          STATE     READ
WRITE CKSUM
 >         maxstor                                       ONLINE
0     0     0
 >           gptid/64a30ca9-56ad-11e1-80c4-000024ce7c30  ONLINE
1     0     0

 > errors: No known data errors
 > [denis@datasink] ~> zpool iostat -v maxstor
 >                                            capacity     operations
bandwidth
 > pool                                    alloc   free   read  write
read  write
 > --------------------------------------  -----  -----  -----  -----
-----  -----
 > maxstor                                 1.10M   928G      0      0
455  1.11K
 >   gptid/64a30ca9-56ad-11e1-80c4-000024ce7c30  1.10M   928G
0      0    455  1.11K
 > --------------------------------------  -----  -----  -----  -----
-----  -----

I know that this sounds bad for the drive, but I cannot find anywhere in
my logs (/var/log/messages, dmesg, etc) a reference to this supposed
'unrecoverable error' that the drive has had, and the resilvering
*always* works.

I am wondering whether it might not simply be a timeout issue, that is:
the drive is taking too long to spin up, which causes a timeout and a
read error to be reported, which then disappears completely once the
drive has spun up.

Does anybody have a suggestion about how I could go about investigating
this issue?  Shouldn't there be a log of the 'unrecoverable error'
somewhere?

Thank you all,

Denis