Date:      Tue, 28 Feb 2012 16:24:47 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: zpool not grabbing hot spare

--------------enig9636C0BEA83528452C3E439A

On 28/02/2012 15:21, Randy Schultz wrote:
> [...]
>    Feb 24 20:46:41 booto kernel: (da30:mpt3:0:6:0): removing device ent=
ry
>=20
> however the spare never came online:
>       zpool status -v
>      pool: data
>     state: DEGRADED
>    status: One or more devices has been removed by the administrator.
>            Sufficient replicas exist for the pool to continue
> functioning in a
>            degraded state.
>    action: Online the device using 'zpool online' or replace the device=

> with
>            'zpool replace'.
>     scan: resilvered 0 in 0h2m with 0 errors on Tue Oct 25 13:40:59 201=
1
>    config:
>=20
>            NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
>            data        DEGRADED     0     0     0
>              raidz2-0  DEGRADED     0     0     0
>                da2     ONLINE       0     0     0
>                da3     ONLINE       0     0     0
>                da4     ONLINE       0     0     0
>                da5     ONLINE       0     0     0
>                da6     ONLINE       0     0     0
>                da7     ONLINE       0     0     0
>                da9     ONLINE       0     0     0
>                da10    ONLINE       0     0     0
>                da11    ONLINE       0     0     0
>                da12    ONLINE       0     0     0
>                da13    ONLINE       0     0     0
>                da14    ONLINE       0     0     0
>                da15    ONLINE       0     0     0
>                da17    ONLINE       0     0     0
>                da18    ONLINE       0     0     0
>                da19    ONLINE       0     0     0
>                da20    ONLINE       0     0     0
>                da21    ONLINE       0     0     0
>                da22    ONLINE       0     0     0
>                da23    ONLINE       0     0     0
>                da25    ONLINE       0     0     0
>                da26    ONLINE       0     0     0
>                da27    ONLINE       0     0     0
>                da28    ONLINE       0     0     0
>                da29    ONLINE       0     0     0
>                da30    REMOVED      0     0     0
>                da31    ONLINE       0     0     0
>                da32    ONLINE       0     0     0
>                da33    ONLINE       0     0     0
>                da34    ONLINE       0     0     0
>                da35    ONLINE       0     0     0
>                da36    ONLINE       0     0     0
>                da37    ONLINE       0     0     0
>                da38    ONLINE       0     0     0
>                da39    ONLINE       0     0     0
>                da40    ONLINE       0     0     0
>                da41    ONLINE       0     0     0
>                da42    ONLINE       0     0     0
>                da43    ONLINE       0     0     0
>                da44    ONLINE       0     0     0
>                da45    ONLINE       0     0     0
>                da46    ONLINE       0     0     0
>                da47    ONLINE       0     0     0
>            logs
>              mirror-1  ONLINE       0     0     0
>                da24    ONLINE       0     0     0
>                da16    ONLINE       0     0     0
>            spares
>              da1       AVAIL
>=20
> I thought the spare was supposed to come online and be resilvered
> automatically.  Did I miss some config thing
> or did I just misunderstand how the hot spare bit works?

Yes.  That's the generally accepted meaning of the concept of a 'hot
spare.'  The fact that the spare hasn't been automatically bought
on-line in this case is a bug.  There's an open PR on the subject:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3Dkern/134491

That seems to suggest the problem was known to be solved at some point
in 2011, but it was not necessarily propagated to all stable branches.
However, given your experience perhaps that is not the case.

You should be able to use zfs commands manually to sub-in the spare
drive and get it resilvered.

As an aside -- you've got a pretty odd setup there: 41 drives all in one
big RAIDZ2 vdev?  Standard practice would be to create something like 5
RAIDZ2 vdevs of 8 drives each (Or maybe 6 vdevs of 7 drives apiece: 6--9
drives is about the sweet spot for a RAIDZ2) and then stripe those vdevs
together to create your zpool.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20