Date:      Sun, 11 Mar 2012 13:07:19 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: portsnap problem

--------------enig77FBD71010B463E4F36209FC

On 11/03/2012 12:55, Sergio de Almeida Lenzi wrote:
> Em Dom, 2012-03-11 =C3=A0s 07:38 -0500, ajtiM escreveu:
>=20
>> On Sunday 11 March 2012 07:05:35 Herby Voj=C4=8D=C3=ADk wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> for a day already, portsnap fetch seems not to fetch newest changes.
>>> freshports shows lots of changes, port portsnap fetch says there
>>> everything is up to date.
>>> I checked that the ports are really newer in freshports than in my ma=
chine.
>>> I also removed everything in /usr/ports and /var/db/portsnap and issu=
ed
>>> portsnap fetch extract, but it did not help.
>>>
>>> Maybe some job that creates patches for portsnap died?
>>>
>=20
> Or just that ports system is "frozen" because of the 8.3 release???
>=20
> Occam's razor:
>=20
> when you have two or more competing theories=20
> that make exactly the same predictions,
> the simpler one is the better.

That's not it.  Ports only gets frozen completely for a matter of an
hour or so as part of the release process.  Instead, it spends much of
the period leading up to a release in "Slush" -- which is the case at
the moment.

Slush doesn't mean that ports stop being updated.  On the contrary,
there have been some twenty-odd ports updated just this morning as I can
see from the cvs-ports@ mailing list.

Slush does mean that changes with large scale ramifications are not
permitted, so last week's perl-related updates for instance, would not
be allowed right now.

The portsnap thing is a real problem.  No idea what or why or how long
to fix, but I'd hazard a guess that the answer to the last is "by later
today."

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20