Date:      Sun, 25 Mar 2012 21:45:09 +0200
From:      olli hauer <ohauer@gmx.de>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Jos Chrispijn <ports@webrz.net>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 6.4 stable

On 2012-03-25 20:26, Jos Chrispijn wrote:
> I just re-animated an my old FreeBSD server but have some serious issues with updating my ports collection:
>
> fetch: http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/INDEX-6.bz2: Not Found
> *** Error code 1
>
> I already tried:
> portupgrade make fetchindex
> portupgrade make index
>
> but every time the first error comes up. Can someone tell me how solve this?

6.4 is EOL but it seems the index is build for portsnap.

Even in 8.3-RC2 you can find the following lines in /etc/portsnap.conf

INDEX INDEX-6 DESCRIBE.6
INDEX INDEX-7 DESCRIBE.7
INDEX INDEX-8 DESCRIBE.8

At last on my 8.3-RC2 system INDEX-6 will be renewed per default during "portsnap update"

So if you use portsnap you have a real chance to get INDEX-6 but ports are not guarantied to build since most of the 6.x specific parts are already removed from the ports tree.

If you want to try portsnap rename /usr/ports to ports.old so you have your old tree as fall-back.

--
Regards,
olli