Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2012 22:03:24 +0400
From:      Andrey Zonov <andrey@zonov.org>
To:        miwi@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>, freebsd-python@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Earlier patch to always install python's eggs as unpacked files

On 6/13/12 5:53 PM, Martin Wilke wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 17:25:03 -0400
> John Baldwin<jhb@freebsd.org>  wrote:
>
>> There was a patch in this post from last year
>> (http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-python/2011-August/003701.html)
>> to make python packages unpack eggs to avoid problems with shared egg
>> caches and to avoid requiring Internet access during pkg_add.  Andrey
>> mentioned doing an exp run with his patch.  I don't see the patch
>> committed to bsd.python.mk or any further replies to the thread.  We
>> are running into some of these issues using our own packages at my
>> work.  Were there any problems with this patch or during it's exp run?
>>

> Hi John and Andrey,
>
> I've add that to my todo for next exprun over the weekend.
>
> - Martin

Hi,

There is a problem with this patch.  If you build package for one
FreeBSD version and install package to another, easy_install will fetch
sources and will try to build an egg.  I found that during upgrading
from 8.2 to 9.0.

My suggestion is to replace post-install/pre-deinstall actions to
manually editing easy-install.pth.  I mean this code:

         @${ECHO_CMD} "@unexec ${PYEASYINSTALL_CMD}
${PYEASYINSTALL_UNINSTALLARGS}" \
                 > ${TMPPLIST}
         @${ECHO_CMD} "@unexec ${RM} -rf
${PYTHON_SITELIBDIR}/${PYEASYINSTALL_EGG}" >> ${TMPPLIST}
         @${ECHO_CMD} "@exec ${SETENV}
PYTHONPATH=${PYEASYINSTALL_SITELIBDIR} \
                 ${PYEASYINSTALL_CMD} ${PYEASYINSTALL_INSTALLARGS}" \
                 >> ${TMPPLIST}

What do you think?

PS: I don't really like this solution.

--