Date:      Wed, 08 Nov 2000 22:54:27 +0100
From:      Len Conrad <lconrad@Go2France.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        <scanner@jurai.net>
Subject:   Re: post-install of kernal sources, maxusers max?

> > kern.ipc.nmbclusters
> > kern.ipc.nmbufs
>
>         Nope. Those are read only at least on my 4.2-BETA kernel.

read-only also in 4.1

# sysctl -w kern.ipc.nmbclusters=2048
sysctl: oid 'kern.ipc.nmbclusters' is read only
# sysctl -w kern.ipc.nmbufs=8192
sysctl: oid 'kern.ipc.nmbufs' is read only

>I am running into the same problem during my benchmarking. I also thought
>that a change in the past made the mbuf cluters tuneable on a running
>machine. Hmm maybe I am wrong. However Im not sure that is the problem. I
>have:
>
>[open-systems]:/home/chris> netstat -m
>5/2000/6144 mbufs in use (current/peak/max):
>         1 mbufs allocated to data
>         4 mbufs allocated to packet headers
>0/1096/1536 mbuf clusters in use (current/peak/max)
>
>I still have free mbuf's yet get the same error trying to make postfix
>bleed to death:
>
>[open-systems]:/home/chris> /usr/bin/time -p smtp-source -s 10000 -l
>100000 -m 1000 -c -f chris@localhost -t null@localhost localhost
>smtp-source: fatal: socket: No buffer space available

yep, me, too, can't see exactly what postfix is bitching about:

# netstat -m
367/960/4096 mbufs in use (current/peak/max):
         189 mbufs allocated to data
         178 mbufs allocated to packet headers
150/504/1024 mbuf clusters in use (current/peak/max)
1248 Kbytes allocated to network (31% in use)
0 requests for memory denied
0 requests for memory delayed
0 calls to protocol drain routines

If you learn something, let me know, please.  Thanks

Len