Date:      Tue, 23 Oct 2001 20:55:55 -0400
From:      Scott <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Voodoo 5 difficulties

Howdy--I posted this from work, and judging from the mail daemon response,
there was a problem due to it being a different smtp server, so if this
shows up 3 times, I do apologize.

At any rate, I've been trying to get a Voodoo5 card to work.  My first
search indicated that the Voodoo3 driver would do it--no luck, just hung
when I typed startx.  So, searching between deja, freebsd.org questions and
hardware, a few other sites which these searches indicated might be helpful
and Xfree86's website, I wound up doing the following:

used cvsup to upgrade to the most current stable---hrrm, that sounds like
an oxymoron,but anyway...
Installed XFree 4.x
Installed glide3
Installed drm-kmod
Edited the XF86Config file--uncommented the glx module line, added a dri
module line, added a DRI section changing its mode to 0666.
Referenced the Device as Voodoo5 with a tdfx driver--referenced the device
in the Screen section.
Added agp_load="YES" to /boot.conf  (after doing that, it began indicating
upon boot up that it was loading the tdfx driver).

When I did startx the machine simply rebooted---no entry in
/var/log/XFree86.0.log

I think that's all I've done.   The problem is that if I go with generic
VGA I can only get 320x whatever it is.  I don't need 3d, I simply want an
X interface adequate for opening a few xterms, or for looking at a web page
with instructions while I do something or another.

xf86cfg  hangs the machine.  XF86Setup actually opens with a pretty good
resolution, but after finishing says it's unable to start X.  I tried
(having no idea if it would work, simply going by Linux experience) using a
vesa, rather than vega driver which just froze the keyboard.  :)

So, if anyone has gotten it to work, aside from simply having luck by using
the Voodoo3 driver, I'd be grateful for the steps they took.
Sorry about the length of this, and again, I apologize if it winds up
appearing more than once.
Scott Robbins

I imagine that I've either missed or added something unecessary here.