Date:      Tue, 25 Dec 2001 13:25:26 -0500
From:      Scott <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Postfix and fetchmail problem (and solution)

This might be more appropriate for newbies, but thought I'd put it here in
case someone runs into the same issue.

Installed postfix last night. It's always worked out of the box with Linux,
save for having to add a user postfix.  When I installed from ports, it did
that for me.

However, though fetchmail was showing messages being received, I couldn't
find them.  Searched deja, saw various and sundry solutions, none of which
worked--finally bothered to check /var/log/maillog, which would have saved
me hours of work.  (That's the main reason I'm posting this, more as a
lesson in troubleshooting for the less-experienced like myself).

It showed that postfix was trying to open /etc/aliases.db which didn't
exist.  There was an aliases.db, however it was in
/usr/local/etc/postfix.  So, I simply copied it over to /etc--the quick and
dirty solution, but it wasn't evident to me at first glance which line in
postfix's main.cf had to be changed and it was late.

At any rate, the moral of the story is check the included tools, such as
log files--they can save you a lot of searching.
Thanks
Scott Robbins

P.S--if this was an inappropriate post for this forum, please let me know.