Date:      Mon, 19 Nov 2001 16:37:27 +1100
From:      Chris Aitken <chris@ideal.net.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Epoch Time on Freebsd with perl

Hi all,

Something im trying to play with is this. Im pulling 2 date/time variables
from a database, and what im trying to do is work out a comparison between
the both dates..... for example

$date1 = "2001-10-01 01:00:00";
$date2 = "2001-10-01 03:00:00";

What I want is to somehow calculate that there is 2 hours between these 2
dates (or 120 minutes, or 7200 seconds etc etc)

I know I can do a time() and it will return the number of seconds from
epoch, but it only works on live time, and I cant feed it a date and let it
calculate it on that.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Cheers

Chris

--
     Chris Aitken - Administration/Database Designer - IDEAL Internet
  email: chris@ideal.net.au  phone: +61 2 4628 8888  fax: +61 2 4628 8890