Date:      Thu, 13 Sep 2012 10:14:44 +0300
From:      Markiyan Kushnir <markiyan.kushnir@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Removing CVS from HEAD

On 09.09.2012 01:09, Eitan Adler wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> CVS is obsolete. Virtually everyone that uses a version control system
> chooses git, mercurial, subversion, etc. FreeBSD has finally migrated
> from CVS for all of the repositories [2].  The ports management team
> has announced the end of CVS support in six months time (the end of
> February 2013). The documentation project does not export subversion
> to CVS. The source repository will eventually cease support of CVS as
> well.
>
> As such I propose that we treat CVS as deprecated in 9.x and remove
> CVS from HEAD [0].
>
> There is already a port devel/cvs which uses a virtually identical
> copy of the CVS sources in HEAD as of today.
>
> [0] http://people.freebsd.org/~eadler/files/svn-remove-cvs-from-base.diff
> [1] http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-ports@freebsd.org/msg44029.html
> [2] projcvs does not count

As a desktop user, I'm OK with the idea. However I have a concern on
using csup after Feb 2013. In my "custom upgrade" scenario (I use it on
my desktops, almost fully automated), I start with, roughly:

   % pkg_delete -adf
   % [some extra cleanup]
   % csup <supfile-for-a-new-release>
   % [build and install the base system]
   % [build and install my batch of ports]

After pkg_delete I have a clean base system "old" release, and at this
point I'm able to update the base source tree before I proceed with the
building of the new world/kernel. After Feb, 2013 I wouldn't be able to
do it.

As for updating the ports tree, I'm OK with the portsnap(8).

Do you have suggestions how I could adjust my scenario to update
/usr/src the new way?

--
Markiyan.