Date:      Tue, 28 Sep 2004 10:13:34 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Per Engelbrecht" <per@xterm.dk>
To:        <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Max memory + swap

Hi Alessandro

> I'm deploying a new server with FreeBSD 4.10-Release and I'll need
> a quite big piece of memory.
> I was thinking of installing 1 Gb of RAM plus another Gigabytes of
> swap.

'pstat -s' will tell you if you need more phy. ram.

> I seems to remember some limit / problem when RAM + swap go over 2
> or 4 Gbytes total, is this true ?
> (without PAE or similar things, it's a "normal" P4 machine)

You have to use kernel PAE option if your fbsd4.x box should be able to
use anything above 4gb of ram. The installation can se the total amount
of ram, but can't use it - unless you compile the kernel with PAE option.
Don't know about limits in fbsd5.x but I'm sure it's "fixed".

> I would avoid to tweak kernel parameters, if possible, like KVA
> pages and similar things I don't know ;)
>
> Anyone with similar experiences could, please, remember me actual
> limits ?

I run production serveres fbsd4.10 with 4gb of ram and with PAE compiled
into the kernel.

P.S. don't cross-post a thread to several liste like you've done with
this one. Stick to one and only one list. People are kind enough to
point you to another list if you're on the wrong one.

respectfully
/per
per@xterm.dk