Date:      Sun, 28 Oct 2012 09:05:43 -0500
From:      Bryan Drewery <bdrewery@freebsd.org>
To:        Alexander Kapshuk <alexander.kapshuk@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Portupgrade now supports pkgng [/usr/ports/UPDATING]

On 10/28/2012 2:16 AM, Alexander Kapshuk wrote:
> On 10/28/2012 03:00 AM, Bryan Drewery wrote:
>> PKGNG is a replacement for the pkg_* tools that record package data in
>> /var/db/pkg.
>>
>> It also allows for binary package upgrades.
>>
>> If you are wanting to use pkgng for binary packages, there's no need to
>> use portupgrade anymore. Just 'pkg install name', 'pkg upgrade', etc.
>>
> Understood. Thanks.
>
> For some reason I thought I could use the PKGNG tool set together with
> portupgrade the same way the pkg_* tools are used.

pkgng obsoletes portupgrade -P and pkg_add -r.

Even if portupgrade -P did have pkg support, it would not work right
because of different OPTIONS/dependencies, and the desync between your
local ports tree and the remote package server's versions.

You can use 'pkg install' to replace 'portupgrade -P' right now, and
just not use -P if you want to use the port. But it will not go
smoothly. Picking one of the other is best. (Ports or packages)

If you're managing multiple servers with packages, I recommend checking
out ports-mgmt/poudriere (http://fossil.etoilebsd.net/poudriere) as it
will build the binary packages to create your own remote pkgng
repository. poudriere+pkgng really do obsolete portupgrade all together.

> Is there a straightforward way to go back to using the pkg_* tools in 9.1?

If you have not installed, upgraded, or deinstalled anything, yes.

You can cp all of the package dirs from /var/db/pkg.bak into
/var/db/pkg, and remove WITH_PKGNG from /etc/make.conf and then run
pkgdb -fu again.

--
Regards,
Bryan Drewery