Date:      Sat, 09 Feb 2013 14:32:34 -0500
From:      Fbsd8 <fbsd8@a1poweruser.com>
To:        Nikos Vassiliadis <nvass@gmx.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: vnet without epair

Nikos Vassiliadis wrote:
> On 2/9/2013 5:57 PM, Fbsd8 wrote:
>> Has any one been able to get RELEASE 9.1 to enable jail vnet without
>> having to use epair?
>
> Yes, you can use vnet-enabled jails with several types of interfaces.
> Physical ones like em0 etc, virtual ones like vlan0 etc, netgraph
> ethernet-like interfaces like ngeth etc and if_epair interfaces.
> What all these have in common is that they all are ethernet-like.
>
> You don't mention what kind of use and more or less most interfaces
> are usable in a vnet jail. Could you share more on what you are
> trying to achieve?
>
> Nikos

Thanks for your reply and interest.

What I am doing is writing documentation that describes the new 9.1 jail
extensions for jail.conf and the rc.conf jail statements. I am going to
submit changes to /etc/defaults/rc.conf and as long as I was on the jail
subject thought I may as well include vnet because it was missing from
/etc/defaults/rc.conf. I did google search and could only find 9.0 vnet
jails using epair. It was my understanding that epair was not necessary
to use vnet and thanks to you, you confirmed it.

As part of this self-appointed project I plan to also update "man jail"
and the handbook jail section which is really way out of date. I plan to
include vnet in all aspects of this project. I must point out this is
not just a writing project. I have been using rc.conf jail statements to
configure jails for some time now, and have a test bed to test things I
write about so I can verify what I write is true and valid. I am working
with the author of the jail environment and already have discovered bugs
which are being addressed. I have never played with vimage as it's
labeled as experimental because it is not scp aware. IE: can not use
more than a single cpu.

One of the 9.1 jail extensions deals with being able to use quotas
inside of jails. I am excited to begin testing this new function.

During my jail research I have come across posts where people have to
use a kernel patch to get xorg desktops to work inside of a jail. I have
a separate post to questions list trying to mine some info on that subject.

I am always open to input. If you have the background to support my
efforts in this project its welcomed.

Joe