Date:      Sun, 09 Jun 2013 17:48:56 +0400
From:      Sevan / Venture37 <venture37@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-dtrace@freebsd.org
Subject:   State of DTrace on FreeBSD

Hi Guys,
I started off with wanting to run postgresql on FreeBSD with DTrace
support enabled but ran into various problems, digging further I
discovered that the issue is not specific to Postgreqsl.

My test system was FreeBSD-CURRENT/amd64 but I went back to 8.4/i386 to
test.

On fresh 8.4 install it's not possible to build a kernel or world
WITH_CTF=1, build fails with WITH_CTF & WITHOUT_CTF can't both be set
On FreeBSD-CURRENT (r251249 from last Sunday), postgresql & firefox
build --with-dtrace but probes never show up when running dtrace -l

On FreeBSD 9.1-STABLE (r250009) postgresql wouldn't build with dtrace
support enabled.
Failing with
Assertion failed: (nrc == rc), function _libelf_resync_sections, file
/usr/src/lib/libelf/elf_update.c, line 341.
gmake: *** [utils/probes.o] Abort trap: 6 (core dumped)
gmake: *** Deleting file 'utils/probes.o'
*** [do-build] Error code 2

Previously reported here &
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2013-May/250843.html

I was wondering what the percieved state of DTrace support was from the
developers perspective, is this known behaviour?
Should I rais a PR to flag the postgresql port broken when attempting to
build with dtrace support?

Sevan / Venture37