Date:      Wed, 25 Dec 2013 23:50:26 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        fbsd@brightstar.bomgardner.net
Subject:   Re: Upgrading 8.1 -> 9.x with ZFS root

--gWHRWtPD4AXHJW2mx0GkAUe8HBKsBAiun

On 25/12/2013 21:20, Gene wrote:
>  I'm planning to move from my current FBSD 8.1 (amd64) to 9.2. My conce=
rn is=20
>  that i'm using ZFS complete with a zfs root and I need to be sure that=
 I don't=20
>  manage to screw up root. Can someone point me to some good reading on =
ths=20
>  subject -=20

Didn't you ask exactly this question a few days ago?  I replied then,
but the reply went to the list, and maybe you aren't subscribed?

Anyhow, this is what I said then:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2013-December/255127=
=2Ehtml

To which I shall only add this:  if you can't find anything much written
about doing the ort of upgrade you are contemplating, it's probably
because the process is pretty unremarkable.  You just do it
and it generally works fine.  ZFS is not what is likely to cause you any
grief.

For general advice on upgrading, see the handbook:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/updating-upgrad=
ing.html

If you have any more specific questions after reading that, please feel
free to ask again here.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20