Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2001 14:54:01 -0700
From:      Sean Knox <Sknox@CQOS.COM>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions (E-mail)" <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Vincent Torres <Vtorres@CQOS.COM>, John Deatherage <Jdeatherage@CQOS.COM>
Subject:   mail/DNS server tweaks?

Hello all,

	I've read several pages regarding tweaking the kernel and various
sysctls to improve performance. I'm running a Exim mail server/Bind DNS
server. I'd like to get advice from those in the community regarding further
increasing performance. Currently, I've enabled SoftUpdates, increased
maxusers to 128, remove some unnecessary drivers from the kernel, created a
large, separate partition for /var, and increased TCP send/receive windows
to 32K. What other performance tweaks do you all suggest? In fact, is
increasing TCP send/receive windows to a higher value really a good idea in
this case? I've read that increasing the window size(s) makes more efficient
usage of large transfers, i.e. ftp. I figure since DNS and mail are
generally dealing with many, small connections, this might not yield
beneficial results. Comments?

Sean