Date:      Fri, 19 Apr 1996 23:16:18 +0100
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Geoff Wells <geoff@ginsu.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Routing problem.

Geoff Wells wrote in message ID
<Pine.BSF.3.91.960419132651.7086A-100000@schwing.ginsu.com>:
> Hi,

> Just w

> anted to know if anyone has seen this before.  I'm running a 2.1 system
> (486/33, 1 gig IDE) and have the following problem.  When the machine
> boots no machine on the segment can contact it but as soon as I ping
> anything on the segment it seems to come alive and begins behaving normally.

> It would seem that this is a routing problem but the routing tables look
> the same before the ping as after.  I know I've seen this problem on a
> SUN (Solaris 2.4) once before but I can't remember what was done to fix
> it.  Any help is always welcome.

You don't really give enough info to diagnose this properly, but one
question asks itself: do you use a 10bT hub or similar? It could be
the hub.

Gary
--
Gary Palmer                                            FreeBSD Core Team Member
FreeBSD - Turning PC's into workstations. See http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/ for info.