Date:      Thu, 17 Sep 1998 23:58:39 -0400
From:      Harlan Stenn <Harlan.Stenn@pfcs.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   NATD gateway with Com21 cable modem+phone modem uplink?

Has anybody gotten a cable/phone modem combination to work with FreeBSD?

The cable modem is from Com21, and the cable company can barely understand
the Win/{95,NT} that they support.

They *sure* don't support/understand anything else.

I suspect (and may find out) that the uplink is standard PPP.  At least,
they didn't give me anything with a special IP driver in it...

The cable modem is expecting to talk to 10.0.0.1 .

I'd *love* to be able to run this with NATD on a FreeBSD box, so the rest
of my network can use this way to get data from the InterNet.

For this to work, however, I suspect I'm going to be dealing with
asymmetric routing out of the box:

 a "local network" NIC card

 a NIC card for the cable modem ( I suspect I could use an IP alias and a
 single NIC card, but why take the security risk?) at 10.0.0.1

 a PPP tunnel (with whatever IP address the cable company tells me it will
 be, that will probably end up being my default route to the internet)

Here's where I have my doubts about NATD - the incoming translation will
need to be on the local NIC stuff, and while outgoing packets will be
headed over the PPP connection, the returning packets will have a
destination IP address of 10.0.0.1.  Is NATD smart enough to handle this?