Date:      Mon, 14 Dec 2015 13:23:01 +0100
From:      Robert Sevat <robert@indylix.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD IRC channel access?

--afbiJNqT3InvFMkOnPnoGSNUu3OaaI7Jp

Hey Dave,

You do not need a password to join #freebsd on freenode. You do however
need to be identified with NickServ to be able to join the channel,
otherwise you get the following error message:

"[23:21:35] * #freebsd: Cannot join channel (+r) - you need to be
identified with services"

So register your nick name:

"/msg nickserv register $password $e-mail"

And then identify your self:

"/msg nickserv identify $password"

You should now be able to join #freebsd. If you can't figure out how to
register a user name, join #freenode, they will be able to assist you
with this. Good luck.

Kind Regards,
Robert Sevat

On 12/14/2015 01:14 PM, Dave B via freebsd-questions wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'm still looking for help to get a simple ovpn system up and running, =
the=20
> suggestions here a few weeks back were helpful (but I still can't join =
the dot's)=20
> so was wondering about asking on the FreeBSD IRC channel.
>
> However, it seems these days that a username and password is needed, th=
at I=20
> don't yet have...
>
> I've had great help from others on that (and other) channels in the pas=
t, but the=20
> F'BSD chat channel is locked down now.
>
> So, where do I go to register a username and password for that via Free=
node.

> Regards to All.
>
> Dave B.

=2Eorg"