Date:      Sun, 12 Jun 2016 11:44:24 -0400
From:      Ernie Luzar <luzar722@gmail.com>
To:        Grzegorz Junka <list1@gjunka.com>
Cc:        freebsd-jail@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: qjail or qjail2?

Grzegorz Junka wrote:

> On 12/06/2016 13:07, Kurt Jaeger wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>>> Which qjail should I use, qjail 4.7 or qjail2 2.2? Does the qjail
>>> project have any documentation apart from http://qjail.sourceforge.net/?
>> qjail, as qjail2 is a non-longer updated version of qjail, as
>> far as I understand.
>>

> Both have some recent changes in their respective SVN branches:
> https://www.freshports.org/sysutils/qjail
> https://www.freshports.org/sysutils/qjail2
>
> And both don't seem to have received too many updates recently.

For your info www.freshports.org is really not the official place to
inquire about freebsd ports. The content of your post shows you got
incorrect info.

If you had read the SVN "long description" of qjail2 you will see this
"This is the last version that handles both the 8.x and 9.x install
media formats." Thats why it has no updates. Its just a version of qjail
that has been frozen in time to support the old format of install media
for freebsd versions that reach EOL in December this year.
https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/sysutils/qjail2/pkg-descr?revision=HEAD

The "long description" of qjail says this
"This qjail version is not intended for RELEASES older than RELEASE-10.0."
https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/sysutils/qjail/pkg-descr?revision=HEAD

And if you check the qjail change log you will see qjail does indeed
have resent updates.
https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/sysutils/qjail/?view=log

So to answer your original question.

The documentation is installed with qjail when qjail is installed.
As far as to what version to install is totally dependent on which
version of Freebsd your running on your host.
For 9.3 and older use qjail2. For 10.0 and newer use qjail. The SVN
"long description" is real clear about that.