Date:      Thu, 16 Sep 2004 15:58:08 -0700
From:      <Jim.Kinsey@nokia.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Hard drive encryption

=20
Hello,
=20
I am writing to inquire about a hard drive encryption software that is =
compatible with FreeBSD.  We have been using PointSEC with windows and =
am looking for a similar solution for FreeBSD.  I see you have  GEOM =
Based Disk Encryption (gbde)   Which I have read about on your web site, =
but the folks here are resistant to using it and are asking for a 3rd =
party solution that is separate from the OS.  Do you have anything in =
mind?  I understand that gbde requests a password before the partition =
can be mounted anyway so this simulates the same functionality of =
PointSEC, but since it is part of the OS, it seems that if someone has =
access to the OS, they could still get in.  Is that right?
=20
Thank you very much for your help.=20

  Jim Kinsey=20
 =20