Date:      Mon, 19 Mar 2007 12:12:32 -0400
From:      Vivek Khera <vivek@khera.org>
To:        FreeBSD Stable List <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Reverting to 6.2-RELEASE

On Mar 19, 2007, at 9:24 AM, LI Xin wrote:

> I always use options INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE for my kernel :-)  Maybe we
> should add it to DEFAULTS some day...

ew yucky....

What I do is keep my kernel configs in subversion.  I have a "common"
component which applies to all systems under my control, and an
architecture specific component that applies separately to i386 vs.
amd64 systems.  In each, I take advantage of the fact that the config
file can have 'makeoptions' which are basically dumped right into the
generated Makefile.

So in my common file, KCICOMMON, I have this at the top:

makeoptions KCICOMMONREV="$Revision: 366 $"
makeoptions KCICOMMON="${KCICOMMONREV:C/[^0-9]//g}"

and in the i386 specific file, KCI32, I have this:

ident           "KCI32@${KCI}+${KCICOMMON}"
makeoptions KCIREV="$Revision: 358 $"
makeoptions KCI="${KCIREV:C/[^0-9]//g}"

Since some of my systems are SMP enabled, I have a minor variant
called "KCI32SMP" also, which is entirely this:

include KCI32
ident           "KCI32SMP@${KCI}+${KCICOMMON}"
options         SMP

now, my kernel identifies itself with uname:

% uname -i
KCI32SMP@358+366

So I know this is a 32-bit system running SMP with the version 358
i386 config and the version 366 common config.

and a trivial lookup in subversion tells me exactly what's in it.