Date:      Wed, 25 Jul 2001 09:31:01 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Bill Fumerola <billf@mu.org>
Cc:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>, obrien@FreeBSD.org, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/usr.bin/xlint/lint1 cgram.y decl.c emit.c emit1.c externs.h func.c init.c mem.c mem1.c scan.l tree.c src/usr.bin/xlint/lint2 chk.c hash.c main2.c msg.c read.c src/usr.bin/xlint/xlint xlint.c

In message <20010724184220.D2759@elvis.mu.org>, Bill Fumerola writes:
>On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 07:17:44PM +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:
>
>> In defense of "Asmodai", note that this was an easy mistake to make:
>>
>> 1) People get told that contrib/ is full of vendor branch stuff, be
>>    careful.
>>
>> 2) People are left to assume (not too unreasonably) that stuff that
>>    isn't in contrib/ isn't on a vendor branch.
>
>it takes approx 30 more seconds for me to 'cvs log foo.c | less' before
>I type 'cvs ci foo.c'. to my knowledge, this method has worked for me
>ever since I learned about the evils of moving files off vendor branches.

It's very simple, our tools should warn people about it, that is exactly
why we have tools in the first place: to make life easier and to reduce
the number of things people have to remember.

I can't see any reason why the pre-commit check could whine if people attempt
to take one or more files off vendorbranches, but on the other hand I would
think that POLA dictates that we move _all_ vendor code under contrib