Date:      Fri, 25 Dec 2015 10:39:39 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Valeri Galtsev" <galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mysql server in a jail

On Fri, December 25, 2015 9:33 am, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On 24/12/2015 21:18, David Mehler wrote:
>> Is anyone running MySQL 5.6 server in a jail? I'm attempting to do so
>> and can not get it to start. I've googled this and found others with
>> this problem, but they had permissions issues which I am not having.
>> I'm getting no MySQL output at all even when I comment out the
>> /dev/null options in the MySQL startup file, I have no additional
>> information except that the server is not starting in the jail.
>
> Works for me -- absolutely no problem.
>
> Did you look at the error log?  That's usually found in
> /var/db/mysql/${hostname}.err
>
> There's plenty of configuration errors that can prevent mysql starting
> up -- if you're upgrading from an older version of mysql, even though it
> may have used to work, watch out for some configuration parameters
> needing to be modified due to changed requirements from the program.
> mysql will tell you exactly what the problem is in that case.
>
> Oh, and at some point the old my.cnf location of /var/db/mysql/my.cnf,
> already deprecated, will switch to /usr/local/etc/my.cnf -- you might
> not be the config file you thought you were.

Works for me as well. It is ver. 5.6 that I run in jail on FreeBSD 10.2.
Jails I have installed "by the book" (meaning FreeBSD online handbook, not
by using ezjail or other jail creation scripts), mysql56-server-5.6.27
installed in jail using pkg. Jails on that box have the following
parameters:

allow.raw_sockets = 1;
mount.devfs;

Did you try to run mysql daemon from command line in jail? What did you
get in that case?

Good luck!

Valeri

> 	Cheers,