Date:      Wed, 27 Apr 2011 22:55:11 +0400
From:      Lev Serebryakov <lev@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why not just name the cam-ata devices the same as the old, names?

Hello, Miroslav.
You wrote 27 =E0=EF=F0=E5=EB=FF 2011 =E3., 17:52:16:

>> What should be done, ideally before the 9.0 release is to find some sane
>> resolution method of what happens when you happen to have two (for
>> example) 'root' UFS labels during boot/mount time.
> ...and that's the problem with labels in case of gmirror.
> When you create gm0 of ada0 and ada1, then sometime in the future ada0
> timedout and is dropped by gmirror, on next reboot you will have same=20
> partitions available on device /dev/ada0 and /dev/mirror/gm0 so there=20
> will be two devices promoting same labels! I don't know the order of=20
> tasting devices, but there is a chance that system will boot (mount root
> by label) from broken ada0 instead of gm0.
   Even without broken mirror, in case of perfectly valid reboot,
glabel could pick-up label first (before gmirror) from one of (both
are non-broken) mirror components, and after that gmirror builds
itself from one true component (ada0, for example) and one
label-provided (instead of ada1) :(

  So, UFS labels CAN NOT BE MIXED with gmirror...

--=20
// Black Lion AKA Lev Serebryakov <lev@FreeBSD.org>