Date:      Sun, 11 Jul 1999 14:06:33 -0400
From:      Christopher Michaels <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>
To:        'Nate' <publisher@laptop.ompages.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions (E-mail)" <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: FreeLinux (Debian/GNU BSD)

How dificult is 'make deinstall' or 'pkg_delete' ?

Also, I feel the need to point out that you are comparing a "package" system
with FreeBSD "ports" system, and through out this whole discussion I haven't
seen one person mention the FreeBSD packages system.  Granted the only real
difference is that packages are precompiled and ports are not, but it's
something worth noting.

All users have to do is select a package from a list, which is organized by
categories, and is searchable, and then hit enter to install.  How can it be
easier?  And all from a semi-graphical view in /stand/sysinstall.  NOW, if
you could only get a list of installed packages and have the ability to
uninstall them from /stand/sysinstall, it's be perfect!  :)

(of course I personally use the ports anyway)

I do have one "gripe" about the ports.  It would be nice if that 'make
deinstall' was smart enough to deinstall a previous version of a package.
E.g. if you have samba-2.0.3 installed and the port is up to samba-2.0.4, it
would be nice if the 'make deinstall' was smart enought to remove the 2.0.3
and not give an error that 2.0.4 isn't installed.  I realize that this is
easier said than done, and if I knew how to implement that myself it would
have already been done.

-Chris