Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 2007 02:27:39 -0800
From:      Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Install from CVS?

On Jan 15, 2007, at 8:22 PM, Jay Chandler wrote:

> Chuck Swiger wrote:
>> On Jan 15, 2007, at 4:11 PM, Jay Chandler wrote:
>>> Is it possible to install (instead of upgrading) FreeBSD from my
>>> local CVS repository?  Looking to find a good way to automate
>>> installations, and figured I'd start there.
>>
>> Sure, it's possible.  You'd have to build a working system from
>> the sources on a FreeBSD system, and then install them to the
>> target disk somehow (perhaps temporarily install the drive in the
>> working FreeBSD system long enough to do the install).
>>
>> In practice, people normally install from a CD image they've
>> burned, and perform source-based updates after that.
>>
>> ---Chuck
>>
> Crikey, that'd be a pain in the arse.
>
> Gotcha, install from ISO...
>
> --
> Jay Chandler
> Network Administrator, Chapman University
> 714.628.7249 / chandler@chapman.edu
> Today's Excuse: emissions from GSM-phones

You do need a target system/setup, but someone recently suggested
setting up a /usr share via NFS (look back in the archives about 2~3
days), where if you switched the symlinks to several files and ran
make install with the /usr/obj mounted (or the relevant sharename
setup under /etc/rc.conf), you could install to another PC from an
NFS share.

What your asking (or similar things) is not impossible, but just a
little more difficult to setup at first, and eventually should get
easier. You can also make CDs with your distro files setup, and then
configure everything on the fly essentially. In regards to that,
there was another answer posted recently about making bootable CDs
(look back in the archives < ~2 weeks) that linked to the relevant
freebsd.org article on how to accomplish that.

Also, you can install from NFS shares, which may be helpful if you
have an NFS server setup with a repository ;). However, NFS shares
with FreeBSD servers can be a pain in the arse sometimes, as I
discovered when I tried to reinstall from an NFS repository recently.
However, your experience (hopefully) will not be as bad as mine and
maybe setting up / mapping root properly will solve your issues :).

Cheers and best of luck,
-Garrett