Date:      Sun, 23 Dec 2018 16:13:46 -0800
From:      Marius Schamschula <lists@schamschula.com>
To:        Mayuresh Kathe <mayuresh@kathe.in>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: apple : mac pro : full hardware supported?

> On Dec 23, 2018, at 4:54 AM, Mayuresh Kathe <mayuresh@kathe.in> wrote:
>=20
> is the newer generation of apple hardware, especially the mac pro, =
well supported by freebsd?
> my thinkpad had some twisted support for it's hardware, specifically =
lacked Wifi support and occasionally shutdown or rebooted on it's own =
and hence had to be sold back to the hardware vendor. since I am in the =
no-machine state right now, wondered if a monolithic ally well-built =
hardware like the mac pro be worth it.
> thanks.

You didn=E2=80=99t say which generation of Mac Pro. As others have said, =
the current Mac Pros (cylindrical) are probably poorly supported.

At work, I=E2=80=99ve been running FreeBSD on a 2009 Mac Pro (cheese =
grater), bare metal as a web server.

As that is old hardware (however I=E2=80=99ve got a lot of them, from a =
research compute cluster), my home machine is a Dell server class =
machine - 8 drive bays vs. 4 on the old Mac Pro, and none on the current =
Mac Pro=E2=80=A6

Marius