Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 2002 01:47:56 +0200
From:      Alex <freebsd@akruijff.dds.nl>
To:        Lord Raiden <raiden23@netzero.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need help with network issue

Wednesday, July 10, 2002, 1:26:26 AM, you wrote:

LR>         HI all.  I'm getting complaints from one of our remote sites that they're
LR> experiencing periodical lost of network connectivity, but the internal lan
LR> is fine.  I have already pealed through the lan and determined that the
LR> problem lies in our internet connection.  We're running 768k DSL off this
LR> site and I'm looking for a way to have the server monitor the connection
LR> and throw data out there every 2-5 minutes to see if there is a connection
LR> and if not, record the time and date that this happened.  I want to create
LR> a log for the next 48 hours to see if this is just a hickup or a real
LR> problem.  ISP says nothings wrong, but I had a similar issue from another
LR> location earlier last night as well, but it seems to have cleared
LR> up.  Basically I'm trying to see if it was a hickup in the internet or if
LR> I've got some bigger problems to deal with through our local providers.  It
LR> just seems odd that two different providers would have network glitches
LR> like this in the same night, but at slightly different times.

LR>         Any suggestions on how to do this would help.  I'm not going to setup a
LR> cron job to do a ping every 2 minutes.  That won't tell me much of
LR> anything.  I want something a little more detailed.  Thanks.

LR> - The Raiden Knows

LR> "Remember amateurs built the ark  -- professionals built the Titanic." -
LR> Unknown

LR> "Just when you think you have life figured out and all is going well, watch
LR> your step, for you are about to fall." - Ancient Proverb

LR> with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of the message

Dear Lord,

I think you ISP is right. I also have ADSL and used pptpclient to
connect to it. I had frequent disco's witch became worse when time
went by. Mostly with heavy use. My thought on this is that the line
was dropped when the CPU was overloaded and those couldn't maintain
the connection for that time. Since then i switched to letting my
modem build the connection. I've had no problem since.

--
Best regards,
Alex

The FreeBSD handbook