Date:      Thu, 19 Nov 2015 16:20:57 -0700
From:      Scott Long <scott4long@yahoo.com>
To:        Jonathon Reinhart <jonathon.reinhart@gmail.com>
Cc:        Sean Bruno <sbruno@freebsd.org>, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ciss(4) HP Smart Array P840

<https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/hp-gen9-server-w-p840-hba-mo=
(https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd/blame/master/sys/dev/ciss/ciss.c#L320)=

>>>=20
>>>=20
>> that the VID/DID for this card (0x103C, 0x3239) is listed.
>>>=20
>>=20
>> Yup.  I was asked to add that almost 3 years ago by HP before their
>> team and my employment ended.
>>=20
>>> I'm new to FreeBSD, but I'm confused as to how the driver supports
>>> this card enough to read the drive model numbers, but not enough
>>> to actually use the drives. Is there something I'm missing, or is
>>> there some other technical reason this controller can't be used?
>>>=20
>>> Thank you for your time,
>>>=20
>>> Jonathon Reinhart
>>=20
>>=20
>> I'm more than willing to help out here, you might want to push on HP
>> if possible to get someone to reach out to me with details on what
>> needs to be modified to support this controller.  I no longer have
>> valid contacts to get this information.  :-(
>>=20
>> sean
>>=20
>> bcc jonathon
>=20
> Thanks for the quick reply, Sean.
>=20
> I took a quick look at the Linux hpsa driver (which obsoletes cciss)
> to see if they treat these new cards any differently, and they don't
> appear to do so, at all. AFAICT every supported board uses the same
> "SA5_access" method. Which makes me again wonder why, given the
> FreeBSD driver has the right VID/DID, it doesn't *just work*. I'd
> probably have to turn on CISS debugging to see if there's any useful
> info.

Since you can see the volumes in camcontrol, the low-level driver and =
communications protocol is working.  What=E2=80=99s odd at the moment is =
that the volumes are returning an inquiry response that CAM doesn=E2=80=99=
t fully understand; that=E2=80=99s why you get the pass devices but no =
da devices.  Can you use camcontrol to do an inquiry request and send me =
the results?  Something like the following:

sudo camcontrol cmd -n pass -u 0 -v -c "12 00 00 00 ff 00" -i 255 - | hd

Thanks,
Scott