Date:      2 May 1999 17:16:49 +0200
From:      naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Build variables to respect besides CFLAGS?

Okay, followup question: How do I get the build variables into makefiles
that have them hardcoded?

Currently I'm looking at a program whose initial makefiles construct a
proceed to source in include files for that system type, which better
exist, and which contain definitions such as

CC=     echo "Compiling"; gcc
CFLAGS= ... concatenation of a zillion other variables ...

which are then used again by submakefiles etc. I don't see how I can
trivially import CC, CFLAGS, etc from the environment there.

Solutions I'm considering:

- Patching the makefiles to include placeholders like

  CC=     echo "Compiling", @CC@
  CFLAGS= @CFLAGS@ ...

  and adding a configuration step where the actual values are
  substituted for the placeholders.

- Throwing out the makefiles and the entire building procedure that come
  with the source package and putting in BSD makefiles of my own.

Any recommendations?
--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                  naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de