Date:      Sun, 17 Sep 2000 02:41:46 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I'll be rolling a 4.1.1 release on September 25th

> You left out the exact steps on how someone who does not have
> commit privs is supposed to "get their patch applied".  I, for
> one, have found that process frustrating.

If I may try and distill this entire discussion down to a single
concrete "action item" which serves everyone's purposes without
attempting to negate reality in any way:

What we appear to need here is a "How to get something into FreeBSD"
FAQ or tutorial which essentially codifies the instructions on how and
where to bother developers and how, this being the volunteer world of
free software and all, you also run the risk of never getting your
patch in at all.  That way nobody would have any unrealistic
expectations of the process or feel that insult to injury had just
been added when told to do something they may have already done.  In
significant cases, it might even net us some more committers.

- Jordan