Date:      Sat, 31 Dec 2016 09:43:29 +0800
From:      Ben Woods <woodsb02@gmail.com>
To:        Jim McIver <jmciver@lmtribune.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd 10 syslog server

Sent from my iPhone
> On 31 Dec 2016, at 3:11 am, Jim McIver <jmciver@lmtribune.com> wrote:
>=20
> Syslog messages going to /var/log/messages rather than /var/log/apac.log=20=

>=20
> Followed documentation from:=20
>=20
> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/configtuning-syslog.html=20
>=20
> I found where this is happening to someone else, but no answer.=20
>=20
> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2011-November/235565=
.html=20
>=20
> I even did debug option and it showed message logging to /var/log/messages=
.=20
>=20
> Yes the /var/log/apac.log file exists.=20
>=20
> As the message in /var/log/messages says " <user.notice> apac jim: test me=
ssage" I wonder if the line in the top of the /etc/syslog.conf that says "*.=
notice;authpriv.none;kern.debug;lpr.info;mail.crit;news.err /var/log/message=
s" is why they go to /var/log/messages?=20
>=20
> It mentions "notice" going to /var/log/messages and that's what shows in /=
var/log/messages.=20
>=20
> thought?=20
> -jm

Hi Jim,

Can you please provide the contents of your /etc/syslog.conf file, and also t=
he relevant lines from /etc/rc.conf? What version of FreeBSD are you running=
?

Note that I believe syslog will log a message multiple times if it matches m=
ultiple rules in syslog.conf, but I could be wrong here.

I also recommend having a read of the syslog.conf(5) man page:
https://man.freebsd.org/syslog.conf

Regards,
Ben=